Rezoning Cases

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A rezoning occurs when a property owner or developer wants to change the use of the property from one use or density to another. Rezonings can be either straight (such as R-40 to R-12), conditional (such as R-40- to R-12-Conditional Use) or to Planned Development District (such as R-40 to Planned Development District, or PDD).

Rezoning requests can be made at the same time as a request for annexation. The Town Council considers rezoning requests after holding a public hearing and referring the request to the Planning and Zoning Board for a recommendation. The Planning and Development Services Department reviews requests for compliance with land use, utility, transportation, parks and other plans.

Rezoning Cases

Please note: Case numbers are assigned in the year of submittal. If the case does not appear in the current year, please look in the previous year's case folder.

2020 Rezoning Cases
2019 Rezoning Cases
2018 Rezoning Cases
2017 Rezoning Cases
2016 Rezoning Cases
2015 Rezoning Cases
2014 Rezoning Cases
2013 Rezoning Cases
2012 Rezoning Cases

Want to get meeting updates on a specific Rezoning Case? Sign up for email notifications here!

For information on rezoning cases prior to 2011, please call 311 or (919) 469-4046


2020 Rezoning Submittal and Public Hearing Schedule


Pre-Application Conference
A pre-application conference is not required, but highly recommended before an application is filed. Call 311 or (919) 469-4046 to schedule a meeting.

Public Hearings
At least one public hearing is required. The Town Council holds this hearing. If further changes occur to the application, the Town Council may hold a second hearing.

Town Council Decision
After reviewing Planning staff and Planning Board reports and recommendations, the Town Council makes a decision. A simple majority of the council decides the rezoning.

For more information on the process, please refer to the Development section.

Who May File Rezoning Requests
Rezoning requests may be initiated by the Town Council, Planning and Zoning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, any owner of a legal or equitable interest in land within Cary or its extra-territorial jurisdiction, or any resident of the town or extra-territorial jurisdiction.

Rezoning Application: The rezoning application can be accessed under Applications & Forms

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer