Completing a Building Permit Application Online
Do not use the back button on your browser. Doing so could lead to delays in processing your application. You will have a chance to review and correct any information prior to submittal.
BP Applications Online is optimized for Internet Explorer. It also works with Firefox. Other browsers such as Safari may not work properly.
Step 1: Make sure that the permit you want is available online and that your project is eligible.
To be eligible, your project must meet both of the following criteria:
1. Must be a residential project, including:
- Single-family detached home
- Apartment or condo, IF the work and system are completely self-contained within the individual unit, and
2. Must be for one of the permit types exactly as listed in the drop down menu.
Step 2: Enter your location.
We recommend that you search by street address. Searching by address is the quickest way to find your location.
If the owner information in our database is incorrect, that’s okay. Please continue with your application. Enter the correct information in the “Notes” area (Step 5). When you’ve completed your application, you may also notify us by email at Click2GovBP@townofcary.org with the correct information and we will update our files.
- Select Submit to go on.
- Click on your address from the list provided.
Step 3: Choose your application type.
Choose from the drop-down menu. If the type of work you are doing is not specifically listed, it is not eligible for online permitting. If you are not sure about your project, please contact Customer Service at (919) 469-4046 or Click2GovBP@townofcary.org.
Step 4: Enter the total estimated value of the project. (in US dollars, no decimals)
Step 5: Enter scope of work.
- In the “Notes” section, enter a description of the work and additional information that you think might be useful, such as “replace A/C in attic”, or “gas water heater in garage”, etc. This is where you may provide the current owner information, if it is not correct in our database.
- Check the box acknowledging that you have read and understand the statement regarding the Owner as Contractor statement.
- Select Continue.
Step 6: Enter the project contact information.
- Enter the project contact information, including name, address, at least one phone number, and email address.
- Select Continue.
Step 7: Enter contractor information.
Enter name of mechanical/electrical/plumbing contractor in the appropriate place. It’s okay if the entire name does not fit -- please enter as much as possible. If you are the owner doing the work, please type Owner.
Enter N.C. state contractor license number. If you are the owner doing the work, please type Exempt in each box.
Even if the same contractor is performing work in multiple trades, please complete the information for each trade.
Step 8 (optional): Enter the location of the work.
In the field labeled “Location of Work”, enter the general location of the equipment or work to be done (if applicable), for example: “upper a/c”, “lower a/c”, “unit in garage”, “crawl space”, etc. If you’ve already provided this information in the “Notes” section on a previous page, it is OK to skip this step.
- Select Continue.
Step 9: Review the application information.
- If you need to make any changes, select Edit.
- If everything looks correct, select Submit.
Selecting CANCEL will end the application process, and any information you have previously entered will not be saved.
Step 10: Pay for your permit.
- Select Pay Now to pay for your permit by Visa or MasterCard.
Your permit cannot be issued prior to payment-in-full. If you choose not to pay for your permit at this time, it will delay the processing of your permit application.
If you need to make a payment later, you may do so by selecting “View Applications Fees” from the BP Online menu and entering the application number you received with your initial confirmation email.
Step 11: Get your permit.
You will get two emails from us. The first is an auto-response email stating that we have received your application and that it will be processed. When your application is approved and the permit is issued, you will get a second email containing the permit information and instructions on how to schedule inspections.
That’s it! You’ve successfully used Building Permits Online!
We want your experience to be quick, easy, and effective as we work to promote and protect the long-term health, safety, and happiness of our citizens. If you have any questions or comments about this service, please contact us at Click2GovBP@townofcary.org, or call Customer Service at (919) 469-4046.