Show/Hide
Cary Town Hall and most other staffed facilities will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 23 and Friday, Nov. 24 for Thanksgiving. Read more about other service changes this week

History

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
RSS

On June 6, 1922, the Cary Town Alderman appointed Mr. L.A. Cathey in charge of organizing a fire company so that the town would no longer have to rely solely on outside agencies for fire protection. A resolution was also passed to purchase the Town’s first fire truck. The truck was delivered in February 1924 and was housed in a metal garage.

As a result of Mr. Cathey’s efforts, Mr. H.H. Waddell was appointed the first Fire Chief of the Town of Cary on May 1, 1923 at a Town Council meeting. By 1926, Cary Fire Department had 12 volunteers and today has over 200 paid firefighters. The town has reached many milestones throughout its history because of the efforts of many in the past and present. Because of those efforts, today the Town of Cary Fire Department is an Internationally Accredited Agency and has an ISO Class 1 designation.

Timeline

Year Milestones & Accomplishments
1922 First Fire Company organized, and the first fire inspector is appointed.

1923 H.H. Waddell is appointed as the first Fire Chief.

1924 The Town's first fire engine is delivered, a 1924 American LaFrance Chemical Engine.

1925 The first fire hydrant is placed in service.

1934 Fire Department earns accreditation by the North Carolina Firemen's Association.

1936 The Town Council forms a new fire department, the Town purchases its first fire hose and M.R. Conner is appointed as the new Fire Chief.

1952 James L. Murdock is appointed Fire Chief.

1953 Fire station 1 opens at 100 W. Chatham St. and fire station 2 opens on the 100 block of Cedar St.

1954 The Cary Rural Fire Department, Inc. was officially incorporated.

1956 Bob Elder is appointed as Fire Chief, and Boyd Wilson Morris becomes the first paid firefighter.

1958 J. Paul Matthews is appointed Fire Chief.

1960 J.C. Griffis is appointed Fire Chief and Vernon Lee Thompson becomes a firefighter LODD.

At the request of Mayor Waldo Rood the fire department splits into two entities, with the Cary Fire Department serving the Town.

J.L. "Pete" Murdoch is appointed the Town Fire Chief.

1963 Calvin Beck becomes the first paid fire chief.

1965 The Town's first fire station, Fire Station #1, opens at 100 N. Academy St.

1966 John Ward is appointed Fire Chief.

1967 Lee Matthews is appointed Fire Chief.
C.F. Ascue is appointed Fire Chief.

1968 John L. Dew is appointed Fire Chief.

1969 Billy Henderson is appointed Fire Chief.

1970 The Town Fire Department's ISO rating improves from a 7 to a 3.

1971 Terry Edmondson is appointed Fire Chief.

1973 The Fire Department hires a full time Fire Prevention Officer.

1975 W. Poole and Macon W. House are acting Fire Chiefs.
Ned Perry becomes the full time Fire Chief.

1976 Fire Station #2 opens at 875 SE Maynard Rd.

1977 The first female firefighter joins as a volunteer.

1978 The first Fire Educator, Joyce Finnerty, joins the Department.

1979 The Town gets 911 Emergency Telephone Services, and is the first in Wake County to adopt the shorter number.

1982 Volunteer firefighters are phased out, and the Town becomes an all paid fire department.

1987 Fire Station #3 opens at 1807 Kildaire Farm Rd.

1988 Fire Station #4 opens at 1401 Old Apex Rd.

1989 The Department begins providing EMT services to the Town.

1992 Fire Station #1 relocates to 1501 N. Harrison Ave, and the Fire Administration opens at 100 N. Academy St.

1993 Wayne House is appointed Fire Chief.

1996 Fire Station #5 opens at 2101 High House Rd.

1997 Cary Fire Department celebrates its 75th anniversary.

1999 The Fire Department gains international accreditation.

2001 Fire Station #6 opens at 3609 Ten-Ten Rd.

2003 Allan Cain is appointed Fire Chief.

2006 Fire Station #7 opens at 6909 Carpenter Fire Station Rd.

2013 Fire Station #8 opens at 408 Mills Park Dr.

2015 Fire Station #2 relocates to 601 E. Chatham St., and Fire Station #9 opens at 875 SE Maynard Rd in its place. The Fire Department also obtained an ISO Class 1.