The Town of Cary will permanently close the at-grade railroad crossing at Carpenter Fire Station Road, east of NC 55, per an agreement with CSX Transportation and the N.C. Department of Transportation. Drivers can still access the Morrisville Carpenter Road at-grade crossing to the south. In conjunction, a private developer will extend O'Kelly Chapel Road from N.C. 55 to Little Drive, which requires a new at-grade crossing.
While the at-grade crossing closure at Carpenter Fire Station Road is permanent, the Town plans to open the route again via a new roadway under the railroad line as part of an associated realignment and grade separation project with CSX. Cary will realign Carpenter Fire Station Road from N.C. 55 to Morrisville Carpenter Road, west of Louis Stephens Drive, creating a four-lane, median-divided street. When completed, the project will provide additional capacity and increased safety for drivers.
- Begin construction of CSX at-grade O'Kelly Chapel Road railroad crossing - Fall 2017
- Permanent closure of CSX at-grade Carpenter Fire Station Road railroad crossing - Summer 2018
- Complete construction of CSX at-grade O'Kelly Chapel Road railroad crossing - Late Summer 2018
- Begin construction of the Carpenter Fire Station Road Bridge and Intersection Improvements project - Fall 2018
- Complete construction of the Carpenter Fire Station Road Bridge and Intersection Improvements project – Fall 2022
- Permanent closure of CSX at-grade Morrisville Carpenter Road railroad crossing – Winter 2022
Robert E. Shultes