General Project Facts
- Walnut Street (SR1313) carries approximately 35,000 vehicles per day. Buck Jones Road carries approximately 18,000 vehicles per day. US 1/64 carries approximately 130,000 vehicles per day.
- The project bid award was approved by Town Council on October 16, 2014 to Fred Smith Company of Raleigh, North Carolina at a cost of $3,991,151.42.
- The project was identified as a need and is funded through the Transportation Bonds Referendum via the Cary Investment Bonds approved by Cary registered voters on November 6, 2012. Funding allocated for the design, right-of-way and construction is estimated at $7,000,000.
- Improvements included approximately:
- 136,000 square feet of new asphalt resurfacing,
- 3,000 linear feet of new concrete curb and gutter
- 14,800 square feet of roadway widening
- 540 linear feet of new storm drainage lines
- 6,075 square feet of bridge deck widening
- 2,800 linear feet of new concrete sidewalks
- 15,000 linear feet of long life pavement markings
- 3 each of new metal mast arm traffic signal poles and traffic signal equipment
- 2,700 each of plantings for landscaping
- 12 new pedestrian signals
- Addition of a 4th turn lane to accommodate dual-left and dual-right turn lanes for US 1 northbound & US 64 eastbound off-ramp Exit 101 to Walnut Street and Buck Jones Road.
- Walnut Street US 1/64 Highway are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. Buck Jones Road is maintained by the Town of Cary.
- The completion of the third northbound Walnut Street travel lane helped alleviate congestion and improved roadway alignment.
- All businesses and residences within or adjacent to the project construction area had access during all phases of the work.
- At least one lane of travel in each direction of US 1/64, Buck Jones Road and Walnut Street was closed at intermittent times to facilitate the roadway and bridge widening work.
- Construction work began winter 2015 and was considered substantially complete Friday, November 18, 2016.
The estimated total project cost was $7 million, which included design, right-of-way and roadway construction. This full amount was supported by the 2012 Cary Community Investment Bond funds. The final contract cost including design, right-of-way, engineering, permitting, inspections and construction was estimated at $5,450,000.
- Data collection/Surveying (summer 2013)
- Begin design (summer 2013)
- Begin utility relocation for bridge widening (winter 2013/2014)
- Complete Designs (summer 2014)
- Obtain permits to advertise project for bidding (summer 2014)
- Bid advertisement for construction (summer 2014)
- Bid award by Town Council (October 16, 2014)
- Begin construction (winter 2015)
- Begin pedestrian detour for Walnut St. bridge access (late April 2015)
- Complete bridge widening and sidewalk across US1/64 (summer 2016)
- Begin sidewalk extension on southbound Walnut St. from Lawrence Rd to east of US 1/64 ramp (July 25, 2016)
- Complete sidewalk extension on eastbound Walnut St. from Lawrence Rd to east of US 1/64 ramp (fall 2016)
- Complete landscaping (fall 2016)
- Project complete (spring 2017)
- NCDOT has tentatively accepted the project improvements by encroachment agreement for one-year warranty observation beginning fall 2017.
- Complete warranty period fall 2018.
- Project was substantially completed fall 2016.
Robert E. Shultes
Transportation & Facilities Department