January 4, 2017
- Project is substantially complete.
- Minor work including street lighting and utility work by Duke Progress Energy continues.
- There may be occasional daytime lane closures on Walnut Street, Crossroads Boulevard, Buck Jones Road, US 1 and US 64 ramps at Walnut Street and affected side streets until spring 2017 as minor work is completed.
The Town of Cary worked with the North Carolina Department of Transportation on the construction of an additional northbound travel lane and sidewalk on Walnut Street (SR1313) across the US 1/64 overpass.
- Improved lane alignment
- Addition of sidewalks and pedestrian connections
- Curb and gutterThermoplastic pavement markings
The project area included Walnut Street from the US 1/64 southbound ramp to Piney Plains Road and Buck Jones Road from Walnut Street to the Best Motor Imports business and improved pedestrian and vehicular safety on Walnut Street and Buck Jones Road.
Sidewalks were constructed to provide a continuous pedestrian connection along Walnut Street and to existing sidewalks on Buck Jones Road. Additional sidewalk will be added along the south side of Walnut St from Lawrence Road across the US 1 ramp to existing sidewalk near Ledsome Lane.
A continuous, third northbound through lane was added from Meeting Street to Buck Jones Road to help alleviate congestion and improve the alignment.
|1976||Walnut Street formerly Macedonia Road is widened with a new bridge over US 1/64 Highway.|
|1992||Crossroads Plaza opens to the public.|
|2006||US 1/64 is rehabilitated with new on/off ramps relocated opposite Donaldson Drive and an additional third lane for southbound Walnut Street to US 1/64 on-ramp is added.|
|2008||Walnut Street is widened adding a third northbound lane from Meeting Street to the right-in right out driveway at Red Lobster Restaurant.|
|2012||November 6th Town of Cary Community Investment Bonds are approved by Cary registered voters providing funding for this project.|
|2013||Town begins preliminary engineering for operational and pedestrian improvements. August 27, 2013 the Town hosted a Public Workshop at 241 Crossroads Blvd. to gather comments and input from Cary citizens and business owners, to help shape the design of the project.|
|2014||Designs are completed and project is scheduled for fall 2014 contract award.|
|2015||Project Construction begins winter 2015.Bridge construction begins April 2015|
|2016||Substantial completion of project including sidewalk requested by citizens via public workshop comments.|
|2017||Completion of final project details|
General Project Facts
- Walnut Street (SR1313) carries approximately 35,000 vehicles per day. Buck Jones Road carries approximately 18,000 vehicles per day. US 1/64 carries approximately 130,000 vehicles per day.
- The project bid award was approved by Town Council on October 16, 2014 to Fred Smith Company of Raleigh, North Carolina at a cost of $3,991,151.42.
- The project was identified as a need and is funded through the Transportation Bonds Referendum via the Cary Investment Bonds approved by Cary registered voters on November 6, 2012. Funding allocated for the design, right-of-way and construction is estimated at $7,000,000.
- Improvements included approximately:
- 136,000 square feet of new asphalt resurfacing,
- 3,000 linear feet of new concrete curb and gutter
- 14,800 square feet of roadway widening
- 540 linear feet of new storm drainage lines
- 6,075 square feet of bridge deck widening
- 2,800 linear feet of new concrete sidewalks
- 15,000 linear feet of long life pavement markings
- 3 each of new metal mast arm traffic signal poles and traffic signal equipment
- 2,700 each of plantings for landscaping
- 12 new pedestrian signals
- Addition of a 4th turn lane to accommodate dual-left and dual-right turn lanes for US 1 northbound & US 64 eastbound off-ramp Exit 101 to Walnut Street and Buck Jones Road.
- Walnut Street US 1/64 Highway are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. Buck Jones Road is maintained by the Town of Cary.
- The completion of the third northbound Walnut Street travel lane helped alleviate congestion and improved roadway alignment.
- All businesses and residences within or adjacent to the project construction area had access during all phases of the work.
- At least one lane of travel in each direction of US 1/64, Buck Jones Road and Walnut Street was closed at intermittent times to facilitate the roadway and bridge widening work.
- Construction work began winter 2015 and was considered substantially complete Friday, November 18, 2016.
- Citizens can anticipate lane closures to continue during daytimes for the completion of punch list items and street lighting work by Duke Progress Energy until Spring 2017:
- Daytime lane closures on Buck Jones Road and Walnut Street between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Nighttime lane closures on Buck Jones Road and Walnut Street between 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Friday
- Nighttime lane closures of US 1/64, US 1/64 ramps and Crossroads Boulevard ramp between 9 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Intermittent ramp closures for I-40, Walnut Street, Buck Jones Road and Crossroads Boulevard Monday-Friday between 12 midnight to 5:30 a.m.
The estimated total project cost was $7 million, which included design, right-of-way and roadway construction. This full amount was supported by the 2012 Cary Community Investment Bond funds. The final contract cost including design, right-of-way, engineering, permitting, inspections and construction was estimated at $5,450,000.
- Data collection/Surveying (summer 2013)
- Begin design (summer 2013)
- Begin utility relocation for bridge widening (winter 2013/2014)
- Complete Designs (summer 2014)
- Obtain permits to advertise project for bidding (summer 2014)
- Bid advertisement for construction (summer 2014)
- Bid award by Town Council (October 16, 2014)
- Begin construction (winter 2015)
- Begin pedestrian detour for Walnut St. bridge access (late April 2015)
- Complete bridge widening and sidewalk across US1/64 (summer 2016)
- Begin sidewalk extension on southbound Walnut St. from Lawrence Rd to east of US 1/64 ramp (July 25, 2016)
- Complete sidewalk extension on eastbound Walnut St. from Lawrence Rd to east of US 1/64 ramp (fall 2016)
- Complete landscaping (fall 2016)
- Sidewalk open to pedestrians along eastbound-south side of Walnut Street from Lawrence Road to east of the US 1 & US 64 ramp opposite Donaldson Drive.
- New pedestrian signal controls added at the following intersections:
- Across Walnut Street at US 1 northbound & US 64 eastbound off-ramp.
- Across Buck Jones Road and Walnut Street just west of the US 1/64 overpass.
- Across Donaldson Drive opposite US 1 southbound & US 64
- Across US 1 southbound & US 64 westbound off-ramp opposite Donaldson Drive
- Across Lawrence Road, Nottingham Drive and both approaches to Walnut Street at Walnut Street Park.
- New wayfinding signage at a cost of $2,100 to direct pedestrians through the Walnut Street Park via the multi-use trail for continuous access eastbound between SW Maynard Road at Cary High School to Buck Jones Road. Wayfinding signage by Town of Cary is expected to be complete spring 2017.
- Sidewalk open to pedestrians along Buck Jones Road at Best Motors Imports opposite REI Shopping Plaza to Walnut Street.
- Sidewalk open to pedestrians along eastbound Walnut St. between the US 1 northbound/US 64 eastbound off-ramp to Piney Plains Road. A new pedestrian signal controlled crosswalk is open to direct pedestrians across Walnut Street at this intersection.
- New GoCary Bus Stop (ID: 11246) n added at 1805 Walnut Street just east of the Red Lobster driveway located on the westbound side of Walnut Street opposite Piney Plains Road. Visit GoTriangle for additional information on planning a trip using transit in the Crossroads area.
View the map of bus stop 11246 (1805 Walnut St.).
Sidewalk Extension Completed November 2016
Taking into account citizens' public comments, the Town added a sidewalk along eastbound south side of Walnut Street from Lawrence Road to east of the US 1 and US 64 ramp opposite Donaldson Drive. Construction of this new sidewalk began July 25, 2016 and was substantially completed on November 2016. The cost of this additional sidewalk with pedestrians signals is approximately $369,000.
This sidewalk extension will connect with the existing multi-use trail system within the park at the Walnut Street Park. As part of the Walnut Street Park's Master Plan; The multi-use trail system within the park is a hard surface walking trail which connects the existing sidewalk system along eastbound Walnut Street from Cary High School to existing sidewalk just west of Buck Jones Road. This sidewalk extension when complete will provide new pedestrian signal controlled crosswalks across Lawrence Road, across Donaldson Drive and across the US 1 and US 64 ramp opposite Donaldson Drive.
Click here for the sidewalk extension project map.
- Map of Roads in Cary by Ownership
- General Map of the Collector Distributor Lanes on US 1/64 Highway Under Walnut St. Bridge
- General Map of Project Area
- Sidewalk Extension Map
Public Workshop Displays
- Walnut Street Perspective Display
- Project Area Map Display
- Project Information Sheet Display
- Project Schedule Display
Citizens who attended the workshop provided public input for the project. The summary of the August 27, 2013 public comments will be used in conjunction with comments provided by other agencies, such as the North Carolina Department of Transportation, to help shape the project.
- February 27th, 2014 Regular Town Council Meeting Minutes - Staff Report Discussion Item 6.5
- Staff's recommendations (at the 1:58 mark on the video) to Town Council based on input from Public Comments, business owners, NCDOT and other agencies which helped shape the project.
- April 24th, 2014 Regular Town Council Meeting Minutes for Accessible Pedestrian Signals for the Walnut Street Pedestrian and Traffic Improvements Project.
- September 10, 2015 Regular Town Council Meeting Minutes approving the Construction Bid Award to Fred Smith Company of Raleigh, NC
- September 10, 2015 Regular Town Council Meeting Minutes consent agenda item 4.6, approving staff's report recommending extension of new sidewalk on eastbound-south side of Walnut St from Lawrence Rd to east of the US 1 and US 64 ramp opposite Donaldson Dr.
Robert E. Shultes
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary