Chatham and Academy Streets Intersection Closure
Beginning May 16, 2016 and continuing though fall 2016, drivers will see significant changes to Academy Street traffic patterns and detours.
The intersection of Academy and Chatham Streets will close each Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. and reopen the following morning at 7 a.m., except on Saturdays when the intersection will remain closed until Sunday at 7 a.m.
Academy Street will be one-way northbound from Dry Avenue to Waldo Street; detours will be signed.
The Town has identified South Academy Street as a “signature street” critical to the successful redevelopment of downtown Cary. The view and ambiance of South Academy Street is often cited as the element that makes downtown Cary unique. The Town hopes to capitalize on that ambiance by making South Academy even more attractive to residents and visitors as a place to hold downtown festivals, events, concerts and other activities to support downtown businesses and complement the activities of the new Cary Arts Center. In addition to allowing South Academy to be better utilized for special events, the improvements would have other benefits for traffic movement, traffic calming, aesthetics, and pedestrian and handicapped accessibility and comfort.
This project contributes to the overall quality of life in Cary by:
- Completing a key element of the Town’s strategy to revitalize Downtown Cary
- Furthering the downtown area as the cultural center of Cary
- Improving pedestrian mobility in the downtown area
- Enhancing and preserving the Downtown Cary Historic District
- Potentially spurring new private investment in downtown Cary
This project creates a visually enhanced street section of South Academy Street and Dry Avenue in the area between Chatham Street and Walnut Street that can serve as a setting for street festivals and other activities designed to attract visitors to Downtown Cary. Planned improvements include enhanced pedestrian spaces, upgradedsidewalks, unique streetscape elements, landscaping and utilities.
The Town has hosted two public meetings for citizens to view updated designs and learn about this project and the downtown park project. Public Meeting #1 was held on September 24, 2013. Public Meeting #2 was held on May 12, 2014.
Project Cost and Schedule
The estimated total project cost is $8,000,000, which includes design and construction. Funding for this project was approved by Cary voters as part of the 2012 Community Investment Bonds referendum.
The anticipated schedule for this project is summarized as follows:
- Design (spring 2013 - fall 2014)
- Construction (spring 2015 - fall 2016, includes time for bidding the construction element of the work)
At the May 9, 2013 Cary Town Council meeting, Clark Nexsen was awarded the contract for urban planning, design and construction administration for the Academy Street Improvements Project in the amount $480,334.
- Navigation Guide - Traffic Control Updates, Detour Maps and Pedestrian Access
- Construction Updates (work accomplished, work planned and photos)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Boutique Hotel-Mayton Inn
- Cary Arts Center
- Downtown Park
- Downtown Roundabouts
- Downtown Theater
- Façade Improvement Program
- Harrison Avenue Railroad Bridge Study
- Town Center Area Plan (TCAP)
Kyle Hubert, PE
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary