POLICY STATEMENT 85
SPECIALTY TRAFFIC CONTROL AND STREET NAME SIGNS AND POSTS
Prepared by: Laura Cove, Director of Transportation and Facilities
Adopted by Council: 10/30/14
The purpose of this statement is to adopt an official policy for the Town of Cary pertaining to the installation and maintenance of specialty traffic control and street name signs.
This policy, upon adoption, shall apply to all areas within the municipal limits of the Town of Cary, its extraterritorial jurisdictional area, and any areas annexed into the municipal limits in the future, until such time that the policy statement is altered, modified, or rescinded by the Town Council.
The Town Council of the Town of Cary hereby establishes the following policy:
A. The owner, developer, or subdivider of a site or subdivision is required to install street name signs at all street intersections in accordance with Section 8.2.2(B) or 8.1.5(I) of the Land Development Ordinance.
B. The Town of Cary installs all traffic control signs in new subdivisions or on new streets in accordance with the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
C. If an owner, developer, or subdivider of a site or subdivision desires to install specialty street name signs and posts or specialty traffic control signs and posts which vary from the standard type sign materials required by and used by the Town of Cary, that person must make a request in writing to the Town of Cary. All such requests must include detailed dimensioned drawings of the proposed street name signs and posts and/or traffic control signs and posts and specifications for the materials to be used in those signs and posts.
D. The Director of Transportation and Facilities and the Public Works Director will review and approve all requests for specialty street name signs and posts and/or specialty traffic control signs and posts which vary from the standard type sign materials usually required by and used by the Town.
E. If the Town of Cary approves the use of specialty signs and posts in any subdivision or on any site, that approval will be subject to the Town receiving a letter from the owner, the developer, or the subdivider specifically agreeing to each of the following points:
(1) All sign faces shall be made of reflective sign materials conforming to the requirements of NC DOT. The sign face dimensions and the positioning of the sign and post with respect to the street pavement and/or the intersection must conform to the requirements of the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The location of each specialty sign and post must be approved by the Town of Cary prior to installation of that sign and post.
(2) The developer, the owner, or the homeowners association shall be responsible for all installation costs associated with the specialty signs and posts.
(3) The developer, the owner, or the homeowners association shall be responsible for the perpetual maintenance of specialty signs and posts for which they requested Town approval.
(4) If the developer, the owner, or the homeowners association fails to fulfill its responsibility for maintenance of these specialty signs and posts, the Town of Cary shall install its standard sign materials and the developer, the owner, or the homeowners association shall be required to remove the specialty signs and posts at no cost to the Town. The cost of materials and installation of standard street name signs and posts needed to replace specialty street name signs and posts which have not been properly maintained shall be borne by the homeowners association of the subdivision or by the owner of the site or by the developer, whichever is applicable.
(5) The owner, the developer, or the subdivider shall inform purchasers of its property of the conditions and responsibilities of the homeowners associations pertaining to the perpetual maintenance responsibility for the specialty signs and posts within the subdivision or on that site.