Congratulations to the 2017 Winner, Ralph and Daphne Ashworth!
2017 Nomination Period
The 2017 Hometown Spirit Award nomination period is closed.
Visit the archive of award recipients.
The Hometown Spirit Award is bestowed annually on a Cary resident who enhances the quality of life in Cary by preserving, promoting and carrying out positive and quantifiable traditional small-town community values and traits as embodied in the following criteria:
- Helps out neighbors and fellow Cary residents
- Demonstrates hospitality
- Promotes and preserves traditional American past-times
- Shows a concern for preservation and works to preserve traditions and the small-town atmosphere in the community
- Promotes entrepreneurship through supporting locally-owned business
- Promotes a sense of community in their neighborhood and all of Cary
- Demonstrates patriotism through promotion and preservation of the country's symbols and dedication to the U.S. military, past and present
- Serves the community through business
- Awarded annually to one Cary resident
- Nominees must be Cary residents (Town employees, current elected officials and individuals in an official race for an elected position, anyone who has served as an elected official in the past 20 years, and memorial nominations in honor of deceased residents are not eligible)
- Nominators must be Cary residents
- Nominees must be 21 years of age and older
- Nominees must demonstrate leadership and integrity and have no disqualifying factors
- Nominees must be respected by their peers
- An individual may only receive this award once