The Town of Cary believes that fostering good working relationships with officials at the federal and state levels is essential to moving the community forward with vision and integrity in a resourceful manner.
Cary's State Legislative Goals
2018 NC Legislative Agenda
April 5, 2018
- Support the Town of Apex’s request to annex a portion of Laura Duncan Road adjacent to Laurel Park Elementary School
- Support legislation to protect Jordan Lake as a drinking water supply
- Support riparian buffer rules consistent with local conditions
- Support legislation that provides resources for state agencies to develop reasonable, science-based health advisory levels for emerging contaminants
Cary's Federal Legislative Goals
2018 Federal Legislative Agenda
April 5, 2018
- Support legislation to close the online sales tax loophole and pass e-fairness legislation to place brick-and-mortar community businesses on a level playing field with online retailers. Allowing local governments the flexibility to collect the taxes already owed to them on remote online purchases removes an unfair disadvantage for local businesses, while helping cities close budget gaps. Collecting owed sales taxes means more money for basic services, such as streets and police officers.
- Protect the viability of municipal bonds by opposing legislation that would limit the traditional tax exemption for municipal bonds and supporting legislation to classify municipal bonds as high-quality liquid assets. These characteristics of municipal bonds make them attractive in the marketplace, saving local taxpayers millions of dollars in interest.
Director of Special Projects
Town Manager's Office